Composite Science

Printer-friendly version

Certification in Composite Science (7-12)

About Composite Science

Composite science certification qualifies students to teach in 4 areas: biology, chemistry, geological sciences, and physics. Students choose areas of primary and secondary concentration. 

For the primary field, students take 24 hours with 12 hours required for the secondary field. Students take 6 hours each in the remaining fields. For example, a student in biology might take the required courses in the following order:

  • Biology -- 24 hours
  • Chemistry --12 hours
  • Geology -- 6 hours
  • Physics -- 6 hours

A chemistry student, however, might take the required courses in this order:

  • Chemistry -- 24 hours
  • Physics -- 12 hours
  • Biology -- 6 hours
  • Geology -- 6 hours

Students should choose fields based on their interests. Imagine walking into a classroom every day, teaching that subject, and really enjoying it.

For information about primary fields (24 hours), select from:

BIOCHEM majors: Select either BIO or CH as your primary field. Some BCH courses can be counted toward the required 24 hours in BIO. See the BIOLOGY page above for details.

You will also choose a 2nd field (12 hours), as well as 3rd and 4th fields (6 hours each).

IMPORTANT: Courses in the Jackson School of Geological Sciences are restricted to majors. Students seeking composite science certification with geological sciences as the primary field may want to consider the teaching option in the Jackson School. Read more about admissions and the internal transfer process. Jackson School students in any major are welcomed in the UTeach office.

Courses counting toward composite science certification must be for science majors. Students must earn a grade of at least C- in all required courses, including those in the UTeach Professional Development Sequence (PDS).

PDS courses count toward the minor/certificate for the BSA. Effective with the 2016-2018 catalog, the courses can also be added to the audit for any degree plan. Talk to your UTeach advisor for details.

Courses for composite science certification partially satisfy requirements for secondary certification in the State of Texas. Further coursework is needed to meet degree requirements. Students in any of the Science Teaching Options should see the teaching degree plans