“As a UTeach Intern, I volunteered for three semesters at Breakthrough Austin, which led me to become a Breakthrough Summer Teacher this past summer. Breakthrough gave me room to grow as an educator. During my time with Breakthrough, I tutored motivated and driven middle and high school students at the Breakthrough Office and Austin High School. When I look back on my second semester in UTeach, choosing Breakthrough was one of the best decisions I made that semester. Breakthrough gave me experience, confidence, and reassurance on why I chose teaching as a future career.”
-Julie, UTeach Intern 2013-2014
Breakthrough interns work with staff and volunteers to provide the support, advocacy, and programming students need to be successful on the path to college. Breakthrough provides a path from middle school to college for students who will become first-generation college graduates. Founded in 2002, Breakthrough Central Texas annually admits 280 sixth grade students and makes a 12-year commitment to ensure our students attain a college degree. The program includes summer sessions at the University of Texas, school year support and advocacy, and comprehensive college counseling. We currently serve nearly 1,400 students with nine classes of college-goers.
Find out more at: http://youtu.be/DPC4tvSvOaQ.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Tutoring individual or small groups of students at the Breakthrough office or at middle and high school campuses in Austin, Del Valle or Manor.
• Advising, coaching, and mentoring students on how to be successful at school
• Assisting in the planning, preparation, and running of Breakthrough events and workshops
• Coordinating and completing clerical tasks (word processing, filing, organizing materials, etc.)
• Entering information into a database and preparing reports
• Conducting yourself in a professional and friendly manner
Why Be a Breakthrough Intern?
• Practice individual and small-group teaching techniques while tutoring students
• Enhance teaching skills while helping to plan and lead workshops and tutoring sessions
• Learn about Austin (AISD), Del Valle (DVISD) or Manor (MISD) Independent School District schools and communities
• Develop meaningful relationships with students, parents, and AISD, Del Valle or Manor staff
• Be a mentor and role model to first-generation college students
• Make a real difference in the lives of individuals and the community
Breakthrough interns work with staff and volunteers to provide the support, advocacy, and programming students need to be successful on the path to college. Breakthrough looks for UTeach interns who are passionate about education equality, eager to support Breakthrough’s mission, and have a desire to learn and improve their teaching and tutoring skills.
Flexible schedule; interns must agree upon a weekly schedule with your supervisor. In need of Interns available on weekdays anytime from 10am – 7pm (10am-3pm office support, 3pm-7pm student support).