Provide Academic Support to low SES students from diverse minority backgrounds that have demonstrated interest and potential for advanced academic success and will be the first generation to attend college. This can provide opportunities to work with teachers to support curriculum and assessments for targeted lessons. Interns will role model effective study habits, love of learning, self-discipline, and assist with the application process for advanced programs, colleges and scholarships. Opportunities can also be made available to observe and work with teachers in their area of discipline through classroom observations, shared tutoring sessions and conferences. Interns will have an opportunity to experience working with Kealing Middle School and/or LASA High School students.
• A strong interest and background in math and/ or science (algebra, pre-calculus, biology, chemistry and/or physics).
• A desire to share their knowledge and enthusiasm for education with students.
• A desire to motivate first generation college bound students to work to their potential, reach academic success and prepare for prepare for college.
• A desire to share and explore different teaching approaches as we discover what works with different students.
• A desire to help teach skills for problem solving, setting goals, self-advocacy and assessing outcomes.
Kealing Middle School
MONDAY - FRIDAY
10:30 TO 1:30
2:00 - 5:30
LASA High School
TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS
2:30 to 6:00 (times are flexible, critical hours are 3:30 to 6)