UTeach Complaint Policy

Printer-friendly version

UTeach Complaint Policy & Disclaimers

To raise a concern or file a complaint

You have the right to raise a concern or lodge a complaint and to seek redress in areas where you feel that the program did not fulfill requirements for certification or for actions that you feel are wrong. To raise a concern or file a complaint:

1. Contact UTeach Natural Sciences Associate Director Dr. Mark Daniels, mdaniels@math.utexas.edu; UTeach Natural Sciences Co-Director Dr. Jill Marshall, marshall@austin.utexas.edu or call 512-232-2770 to schedule an appointment.

2. If your concern is not resolved to your satisfaction and you want to speak with someone else, contact UTeach Natural Sciences Executive Director Dr. Michael Marder, marder@chaos.utexas.edu or call 512-232-2770 to schedule an appointment.

All conferences are confidential.

When students make an appointment, we always ask them what it's about so that we can make sure you see the most appropriate person. However, you DO NOT have to disclose that you have a complaint. Just say that the matter is confidential and you will not be asked for further information.

Please feel free to make use of the electronic UTeach Suggestion Box. We also have an analog version, a real box, on the table just outside the Workroom, PAI 4.12. Only the UTeach Co-Directors, Dr. Michael Marder (CNS) and Dr. Jill Marshall(College of Education) read suggestions left by our students. Suggestions can be made anonymously or leave contact information if you would like Dr. Marder or Dr. Marshall to get in touch with you.

University of Texas Student Ombudsman

The University of Texas at Austin Student Ombudsman is also a resource: http://www.utexas.edu/students/ombuds

Texas Education Agency

While we hope that students will feel comfortable talking to anyone at UTeach about a concern, you DO NOT have to go through UTeach or the Student Ombudsman first. You have the right to file a complaint directly with TEA


In accord with Section 668.43 of the Federal Register, UTeach has not determined whether preparation by the UTeach program will prepare you for certification in any state but Texas. However Texas has reciprocity agreements with many states that facilitate acquiring teacher certification elsewhere once you have it in Texas. 

To find more information on teacher education and certification requirements by state, please visit the professional licensure disclosure page.