AISD Future Teacher Scholarship
The AISD Scholarship application is now open for the Fall 2019 semester. It will close on the 12th class day.
The AISD Scholarship will be offered as long as funds are available and is always distributed late in the semester. Do not count on these funds to pay tuition. If you receive financial aid, talk to the Office of Financial Aid about payment options, including a tuition loan.
Students are not notified of the award. Track your funding on your CASH page and inform the UTeach office if the funds do not appear in your notifications.
Students are responsible for checking. Remaining funds will be returned to AISD and will no longer be available for distribution.
About the AISD Scholarship
The AISD Future Teacher Scholarship Program helps to support students who are certifying in areas of critical shortage in Texas: STEM, Bilingual Education, Special Education, and Languages Other Than English. There is no obligation to teach either in Austin ISD or in the State of Texas. However, students who accept the funding and do not complete the program may be required to repay the funds.
- Undergraduates: $5,000 over four semesters
- $1,000 per semester, increasing to $1,500 the last two semesters
- Degree-holders: $6,000 over four semesters
- $1500 for each of 4 semesters
- You must track the funds and let UTeach know if there's a problem.
- Students in the UTeach Natural Sciences Program--all areas
- In the last 4 semesters of the program
- Registered full time
- 12 hours
- 7 hours during the Apprentice Teaching semester
- 6 hours
- IMPORTANT: Some degree-holders are still classified as seniors. Getting the funds released may be delayed.
- All hours counting toward the full-time requirement must be in-residence at the University of Texas at Austin
- 2.5 cumulative GPA (calculated with in-residence courses only)
- Non-citizens and citizens are both eligible
Eligibility During Your Last Semester
Students in their Apprentice Teaching semester are still eligible for the AISD even though they are registered for fewer than 12 hours. If you receive financial aid, be sure to fill out your FAFSA to indicate fewer than 12 hours in your last semester. This will help prevent delays in the distribution of funds (including the AISD Scholarship), which can happen when the Office of Student Financial Aid has to refigure your package after the semester has begun because you indicated full-time enrollment.
Students are responsible for resubmitting the application each semester.
- The application will open on or before the 1st class day of each Fall and Spring semester. It will close on the 12th class day of the semester.
- Due to the lengthy processing period, the AISD Future Teacher Scholarship will no longer be offered in the summers.
As long as funds are available, all eligible students receive the award; therefore, no notification is made. You must track the funds and let UTeach know if there's a problem.