Certifications and Degrees
UTeach allows you to complete a rigorous degree in any field and qualify to teach middle or high school in a STEM field. Take a look at the side bar for certification areas.
Undergraduate students interested in teaching secondary STEM fields have two options with UTeach:
- Choose the Teaching Option major in biology, chemistry, computer science, math, or physics, OR
- Keep your current major (in any college) and take the coursework required for certification.
If you already hold an undergraduate degree, visit the Degree Holders section for information about applying to the UTeach program.
To complete the UTeach program:
- Choose a certification area and take the required content courses to qualify for that certification. If you are majoring in a STEM field, courses for certification may overlap with courses required for your degree. Your advisor can tell you which ones.
- Take the courses in the UTeach professional development sequence, which includes a semester of Apprentice Teaching.
- Build a portfolio with reflections and samples of your work from every UTeach course.
- Successfully complete a student teaching semester.
Call 512 232 2770 to schedule an appointment with a UTeach advisor to go over all requirements.